Monday, April 4, 2016

"Arigatou" - Thank You for Learning "~te Kureru!"

Welcome to Study-Oke! We'll be learning Japanese grammar and awesome karaoke songs to impress your friends and co-workers.

For our first lesson, we'll be looking at Yosui Inoue and Tamio Okuda's classic Arigatou and the ~te kureru verb form.




About the Song

Arigatou is the 11th track (and first single) from Inoue and Okuda's 1997 collaboration album Shopping.

Also of interest on the album is Ajia no Junshin (link is for English version). While the song was first released by pop duo Puffy AmiYumi in 1996, it was written by Inoue and Okuda.

Arigatou is a simple, repetitive song that is a good match for beginning Japanese learners. That doesn't mean it's going to be easy to learn - much of the vocabulary is going to be new for beginners and it has some fast sections that will feel like tongue-twisters at first. Still, it's an appropriate challenge and an excellent way to learn the essential ~te kureru verb form.

[Today's Topic: Thank You for Learning "~Te Kureru!" is after the jump]



Today's Topic: Thank You for Learning "~Te Kureru!"

Let's start with a few examples:

 Kanji
 Romaji
 Translation
 聞いてくれますか?
 Kiite kuremasu ka?
 Would you ask (for me)?
 許してくれますか?
 Yurushite kuremasu ka?
 Would you forgive (me)?
 デートしてくれますか
 Deeto shite kuremasu ka?
 Would you go on a date (with me)?


We're going to skip the te and masu verb forms for now so that we can move straight to ~te kureru.

Kureru is used to describe an action that someone does for you. Just as kore (this) is used to describe something near you and sore (that) is used to describe something near the person you are speaking to, kureru implies a very definite direction - from you (or he, she, etc.) to I.

As shown in the above examples, simply use the verb's te form in front of kureru/kuremasu to form this sort of sentence. While the examples are all in question form (kuremasu ka), it can also be used as a statement: 昨日聞いてくれました (kinou kiite kuremashita / Yesterday, she asked for me), 許してくれました (yurushite kuremashita / He forgave me), デートしてくれています (deeto shite kuremashita / She dated me).

Note that this verb is only used to describe a good thing that someone does for you, not a neutral/negative thing that someone does to you (we'll talk about される/sareru later).

To describe the opposite direction (something I do for you), we would use あげる/ageru. It is conjugated in the same way as kureru (eg 許してあげる / yurushite ageru / I forgive you).

Arigatou uses the form ~てくれてありがとう / ~te kurete arigatou / Thank you for doing ~ for me. For example:

 Kanji
 Romaji
 Phrasal Translation
 微笑んでくれてどうもありがとう
 Hohoende kurete doumo arigatou
 For smiling for me Very much Thank you
 プレゼントくれてどうもありがとう
 Purezento kurete doumo arigatou
 For giving me a present Very much Thank you
 付き合ってくれてどうもありがとう
 Tsukiate kurete doumo arigatou
 For going out with me Very much Thank you

I've given you a phrasal translation (ie, an ugly, very literal translation) to help you see what parts of the original correspond to which parts of the translation. Note the structure of the lines: First, the action which was done (smiling, giving a present, dating), then kureru to indicate the direction of the action (from you to me), and lastly "domou arigatou." Whereas in English we would say "Thank you very much for giving me a present," in Japanese the sentence flows "Present giving me very much thank you."

While some parts of these sentences can be rearranged and remain grammatically correct, it is very important to make sure that Action -> Kurete - > Arigatou remain in that exact order:

 Original
 Still OK
 Not Okay
 手を振ってくれていつもありがとう
 いつも手を振ってくれてありがとう
 くれて手を振っていつもありがとう
 連れてってくれてたまにありがとう
 連れてってくれてたまにありがとう
 ありがとう連れてってくれてたまに


 Original
 Still OK
 Not Okay
 Te wo futte kurete Itsumo Arigatou
 Itsumo Te wo futte kurete Arigatou
 Kurete Te wo futte Itsumo Arigatou
 Tsuretette kurete Tama ni Arigatou
 Tama ni Tsuretette kurete Arigatou
 Arigatou Tsuretette kurete Tama ni

 Original
 Still OK
 Not Okay
 For waving your hand at me Always Thank you
 Always For waving your hand at me Thank you
 At me For waving your hand Always Thank you
 For taking me with you Occasionally Thank you
 Occasionally For taking me with you Thank you
 Thank you For taking me with you Occasionally


Note that "Thank you for taking me with you occasionally" is grammatically correct in English, but not Japanese. Also remember that while the word order can be switched around in everyday conversations, it can't be done while singing!


That's all for now! Keep StudyOkeing and try looking and listening for the ~te kureru and ~te ageru forms in other songs as well.


>

No comments:

Post a Comment