Monday, June 27, 2016

"Sake to Namida to Otoko to Onna" - ~Te Shimau and ~Te Shimau

Welcome back to StudyOke! This week, we'll be looking at Kawashima Eigo's Sake to Namida to Otoko to Onna (Alcohol and Tears and Man and Woman) and the ~Te Shimau verb form!




About the Song

Kawashima Eigo's songs are the pure distillation of Japanese manliness. I realize that this may sound like a contradiction at first (see: side picture), but Kawashima was exactly the sort of old-fashioned, hard-drinking, hard-living son of a gun that contemporary Japan sorely needs.

But be warned: his songs are not to be tampered with by lumbersexuals or any others who know only ironic manliness. When you sing this song, you need to commit.

Long ago, I went to a snack bar on the blue-collar side of town with some friends. The karaoke microphone came around the room, and I put on Sake to Namida for shits and giggles. It was a foolish mistake, but I was still young and foolish.

Fortunately, there was a man there that night.

My friends and I giggled over our drinks and chatted for a while, when the opening strains of Sake to Namida came drifting through the air again. A man sitting at the bar, the sort of unassuming salaryman you might see in any snack bar across Japan, began singing it with all of the gravity and emotion that I had lacked.

He absolutely killed it. He channeled the alcohol-soaked sadness and loneliness of every Japanese man to ever lift up a beer and a karaoke microphone. It was utterly emotionally devastating, and not just because it was extremely embarrassing. 

I've never forgotten that nameless man or the lesson he imparted to me. When you sing this song, you must reach down into the depths of your soul. You must channel the spirit of the drunken, bitter salaryman; the spirit of the weeping, lonely housewife.

Don't just study the lyrics, study how Kawashima sings it. Note when he holds back the emotion and when he lets it strain his voice.

A final note: this is primarily a song for men, but women can absolutely kill it too.  


Today's Grammar - ~Te Shimau and ~Te Shimau is after the jump]



Today's Grammar - ~Te Shimau and ~Te Shimau

~Te Shimau is a bugger of a verb form. On the surface, it looks fairly simple: just stick a ~te form verb in front of shimau and you're done!

 Verb Form
 Kanji
 Romaji
 Plain Form
 忘れてしまう
 Wasurete Shimau
 ~Masu Form
 忘れてしまいます
 Wasurete Shimaimasu
 Plain Past Form
 忘れてしまった
 Wasurete Shimatta
 ~Masu Past Form
 忘れてしまいました
 Wasurete Shimaimashita
 ~Tai form
 忘れてしまいたい
 Wasurete Shimaitai

So what's so hard? Shimau conjugates like any other U verb!

Shimau is easy to conjugate, but it also has two completely different potential meanings. For example, the ~te shimau form shows up three times in Sake to Namida:

忘れてしまいたい事や (Verse 1, Line 1)
忘れてしまいたい事や (Verse 2, Line 1)
今夜も酒を煽って寝むってしまうのさ (Verse 3, Line 4)

Let's look at the two potential meanings of these verbs:

 Kanji
 Romaji
 Potential Translations
 忘れてしまう
  Wasurete shimau
 #1 To forget (darn it!)
#2 To forget completely
 寝むってしまう
  Nemutte shimau
 #1 To sleep (darn it!)
#2 To sleep completely
    
As you may have guessed, shimau doesn't literally mean "darn it!" It can, however, express an action that you view in a negative light. It conveys a sense of regret, frustration, or that a mistake has been made:

 Kanji 
 Romaji
 Very Loose Translation
 あぁ。財布忘れてしまった
 Aa. Saifu wasurete shimatta
 Aa. I forgot my wallet (darn it!)
 元彼とデートしてしまった(´Д`)
 Moto kare to deeto shimatta
 I went on a date with my ex-boyfriend (darn it!)
 犬のフンに踏んでしまった
 Inu no fun ni funnde shimatta
 I stepped in dog poo (darn it!)

The second potential meaning has very little to do with the "darn it!" meaning. In its second meaning, ~te shimau simply means that the preceding verb has been completely, thoroughly done. It cannot be more completely done. You think it could get more done? I pity you.

 Kanji
 Romaji
 Very Loose Translation
 宿題をしてしまった
 Shukudai wo shite shimatta
 I finished all my homework.
 ブロコリを食べてしまった
 Burokori wo tabete shimatta
 I ate all of my broccoli.
 本を読んでしまった
 Hon wo yonde shimatta
 I finished reading the book.

Of course, because all of the above six examples are all grammatically identical (ie, they are all ~te shimatta), each sentence could have the other meaning. It all depends on the context:

 Kanji
 Romaji
 Very Loose Translation
 財布忘れてしまった
 Saifu wasurete shimatta
I forgot my wallet, and it could not be more forgotten.
 元彼とデートしてしまった
 Moto kare to deeto shite shimatta
I dated the crap out of my ex-boyfriend.
 犬のフンに踏んでしまった
 Inu no fun wo funde shimatta
I stepped in every iota of that dog poo.
 宿題をしてしまった
 Shukudai wo shite shimatta
 Unfortunately, I did my homework (I wanted to fail that class! Darn it!)
 ブロコリを食べてしまった
 Burokori wo tabete shimatta
Unfortunately, I ate broccoli (and I'm allergic! NOOOOOO!)
 本を読んでしまった
 Hon wo yonde shimatta
 Unfortunately, I read a book (The book was the Necronomicon, and now I will be tortured for eternity).
                             
Worst of all, without context, some of them could easily go either way. "I completely ate the cake (and I'm proud of it)" is just as valid as "I ate cake (darn it! I have a gluten allergy)."

Fortunately, the more context you have, the easier it is to tell which of the two meanings is being used. For example, Sake to Namida's opening line goes:

忘れてしまいたい事や

Which of the two following translations do you think makes more sense?

 Kanji
 Romaji
 Potential Translation
 忘れてしまいたい事
 Wasurete shimaitai koto
 A thing he wants to forget
 忘れてしまいたい事
 Wasurete shimaitai koto
 A thing he wants to unfortunately forget
                               
Hmm...the first one looks more correct, but maybe that's because it sounds better in English? Let's expand the context a little bit more:

 Kanji
忘れてしまいたい事や どうしようもない寂しさに 包まれた時に男は酒を飲むのでしょう
 Romaji
Wasurete shimaitai koto ya Dou shiyou mo nai sabishisa ni Tsutsumareta toki ni otoko wa sake wo nomu no deshou
 Translation #1
When wrapped up in things he wants to forget and a loneliness he can do nothing about, a man will probably drink
 Translation #2
When wrapped up in things he wants to unfortunately forget and a loneliness he can do nothing about, a man will probably drink

This broader context makes it even clearer that translation #2 is incorrect. There is no sense that the forgetting would be unfortunate or accidental; instead, it is a consciously chosen ~tai verb that leads the man to a blessed sleep:

 Kanji
 Romaji
 Translation
 やがて男は静かに寝むるのでしょう
 Yagate otoko wa shizuka ni nemuru no deshou
 At last, the man will perhaps sleep quietly

This sense of alcohol giving a blessed relief is repeated in the song's other ~te shimau line:

 Kanji
 Romaji
 Translation
 今夜も酒を煽って寝むってしまうのさ
 Konya mo sake wo aotte nemutte shimau no sa
 Tonight as well I'll drink down alcohol and sleep soundly.

Sake to Namida uses the ~te shimau form, not to express the singer's regrets, but to express a sense of totality. The memories must be completely forgotten so that the deep, complete sleep can come. It's a stark, emotionally draining song, and one of my personal favorites. Try breaking it out towards the end of the karaoke night, when everyone is nice and alcoholically sentimental.

That's all for now. Thanks, and keep StudyOking!
>

No comments:

Post a Comment